Skrip - tyur' - i - ent: adj. Possessing the violent desire to write.

6/06/2006

SAY GAY

I’m not a homophobe. And I know the first thing homophobes say is, “I’m not a homophobe!” in a big surly voice… but you’re just going to have to trust me on this one. In college I had a gay friend make a huge pass at me -- as in, um, could you stop touching me there, please? -- and we remained friends afterwards, so I like to think I’m pretty flexible (but perhaps not as flexible as he would have liked me to be at that moment).

So I realize that it’s totally not cool that more often than not, when I’m faced with something that’s stupid or lame, I say, “so gay” or worse, “that’s queer!”

This has really become apparent to me because the agency I’m working at is super gay-friendly. So if I bust out with a “…key chains for premiums? That’s really queer!” in a meeting, there’s probably a 1 in 5 chance that I’m going to offend someone in the room.

I need to watch my mouth. Not just at work, I don’t need the girls saying things are “queer” at daycare either.

Ugh. Self-censuring my daily speech? That is so ga-- er, lame.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So ... how queer is flaming about the new couch in the office? Just kidding. LOL

5:52 PM

 
Blogger craig said...

Hmm... that's a good point. My new sofa is kinda gay. It's not even something manly, like leather -- "Tomato Chenille" does sound a little girly, huh? Tell you what, I'll start sitting on it in just my underwear, that'll "man it up," don't you think?

8:38 AM

 
Blogger Lil Kate said...

There's a mental image I didn't need!

10:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home