Skrip - tyur' - i - ent: adj. Possessing the violent desire to write.

11/06/2007

HARD CARD

It’s come to this… I’m only on day six of NoBloPoMo and I’ve already dipped into the “blog fodder” document I set up a couple weeks ago. Every so often, when something interesting hit me, instead of actually posting about it at the time, I wrote it down to be used in November. Of course, what I couldn’t capture on paper was the motivation to write about it. That, sadly, is fleeting.

So, one of the things (the first thing, actually) in the blog fodder folder was this:

Work thank you card

You know what I’m talking about… those thank you cards that are pinned up to the bulletin board in the break room. They’re u
sually of the thank you for your kindness regarding the passing of my grandmother sort of things.

I don’t get ‘em.

I mean if, God forbid, you lose a loved one, and someone at work gets you flowers, shouldn’t you thank that person? In person? I guess these cards are used more if you get a card from the entire department or agency… but still. It just strikes me as odd that you’d buy a card, write out a nice thank you message in it, then anonymously pin it up on a corkboard. Seems a little impersonal for such a personal thing.

And when I read those things, I’m generally at a loss. Unless they say specifically what happened, I read them and think, “oh crap… what’s going on with Mary? Who died?” Then I’m tip-toeing around her because I don’t want to say something that would conjure up bad memories. And then I feel bad if I didn’t chip in for flowers or whatever. I mean, I don’t deserve your thanks, since I didn’t do anything to help you through the difficult passing of your gerbil or whatnot.

Maybe it’s a female thing and I don’t get it. Or maybe I’m just a prick.

###

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ronald Hazen said...

Prick!

No, just kidding.

I see you're still using Twitter.

1:45 PM

 
Blogger craig said...

Yeah... I just about gave up on Twitter, but I stuck it out for some reason. Probably because I know it amuses Li'l Kate when I post there.

2:04 PM

 
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Amuses me to *no end.* I swear. Thank you for humoring me. :)

2:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home