Skrip - tyur' - i - ent: adj. Possessing the violent desire to write.

11/07/2007

TREAT DEFEAT

For Halloween, The Scientist walked the girls around our cul-de-sac, then I took over the took them down the block. I ended up taking them about four or five houses too far before turning around, because near the end they were more interested in sitting down and examining their loot then collecting more. And I had to carry both of them for the last three houses. Note to self: next year bring wagon.

While I was waiting for my turn to walk with the girls, I sat outside and handed out the candy. And while I was doing that, I could only wonder when, exactly, Halloween became less about playing dress-up and more about grubbing all the free candy you could?

I know I’m not alone in this because I’ve read several blogs from people who have had the same experience: kid comes to the door with no attempt at a costume whatsoever. Just a big sack in hand demanding candy. And, sometimes, his/her parent is right there too.

Now, a lot has been said about the underlying theme of racism in this line of thinking. And the people who are saying, “Well, these kids from other neighborhoods are being driven over here by their parents!” should probably re-evaluate what they’re really objecting to. Me personally, I don’t give a crap if these kids are black or white, or if they're from my neighborhood or not, I’m just pissed that they aren’t wearing costumes.

And don’t get me wrong, I know that not every family has the money to go out and get a nice store-bought costume. But come on… I don’t believe for a moment that you can’t cobble together something, anything, that would pass as a costume. I mean, throw on a Steelers’ jersey and say, “I’m a Steelers’ fan!” That’s good enough. Put on a red t-shirt and say “I’m the color red!” I’m good with that. But when I ask “what are you supposed to be?” you should be able to give me a reply. I got a lot of “I don’t know” or just silence when I asked that this year.

And that sucks.

There’s an unspoken contract at Halloween: you dress up and knock on my door; I give you candy. I put some effort into my part of the contract (albeit not much, but I do drive to the store, pay for it, and stand by waiting to dish it out) so you should put some effort into your part, too.

It’s come to this: next year, I’m going to buy the smallest, nastiest candy I can find. And when you come knocking in your jeans and t-shirt, and you can’t answer my question of “what are you supposed to be?” you're getting the nasty stuff.

Happy Halloween.

###

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lil Kate said...

I have to agree with you on that one.

Living in CH what I noticed a *lot* of was adults dressing up and trick-or-treating... usually with some lame excuse about a sick/too young child at home. If the kid is sick/too young to be pounding the pavement, I'm going to assume they're too sick/too young to be gobbling down a sack of candy. Just sayin.

5:01 PM

 
Blogger craig said...

Yeah, maybe that's my big beef: it's CANDY. In other words, an optional food stuff. You don't NEED it. It's not like anyone is supplementing their weekly groceries with it. At least, I hope not.

5:11 PM

 
Blogger Dressage Mom said...

About the attempt at a costume thing -

When I was handing out candy I saw a mother/daughter team coming up the driveway. The mother wasn't dressed up and was helping the daughter walk, who had a bright pink wig on. As they got closer it was apparent that the gal (who was probably 13 or 14) had some sort of problem - like cerebral palsey or some other disability. But at least she put on a wig and gave a try at a costume.

1:22 PM

 
Blogger craig said...

That's all I'm asking--an attempt at a costume. While I was handing out candy, I had a mother/son team come up... the mom had face paint on, but her kid had no costume whatsoever.

And another thing: when I give you the free candy, could you at least say "thanks" ?

4:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plastic spider rings and pennies. That's what you should give them.

I'm a wuss, though. I always fear retribution. OK, maybe not a wuss, maybe more paranoid. But the result is that I still give them good candy. I suck.

10:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home