Skrip - tyur' - i - ent: adj. Possessing the violent desire to write.

1/04/2008

DISPLEASED DISEASE

We all survived the holidays.

As previously reported, The Scientist got sick, and remained sick, for days. She basically didn’t get out of bed for four days. Come day three my father-in-law, who is prone to get a little bored, started to give her some shit about it. “You can’t just lay in bed for three days,” he said. “You have to get up. Take a shower and come downstairs; that’ll make you feel better!”

Then, despite my best efforts, I got sick, too. I started to feel crappy on Christmas day, and rapidly went downhill from there. In a perfect world my wife would have started to feel much better about the time I started to get sick… but it didn’t work that way. We were both sick and cranky at the same time. Thankfully the girls never got as sick as we did.

Speaking of the girls… Christmas morning was a big event, of course. They enjoyed their presents (all of them--it’s fun that they’re still at the stage that everything is fun, even clothes. That was always the bummer present for me when I was a kid. “Oh, a box of underwear. Big deal.” But they’re girls, so maybe it’ll be different) and the dueling toy rockets were a big hit. Maybe the best gift was this dumb marble run toy I bought on a lark.


I have to say, The Scientist and I also enjoy playing with it.

The in-laws left the day after Christmas, hoping to avoid the specter of death that was lurking over our home. Can’t say I blame them. It wasn’t the holiday that anyone had wanted.

And now, nearly two weeks after Christmas, The Scientist and I are mostly recovered. I still have a head full of glue, and my wife’s lungs are still a little labored… but Lord knows we’re head and shoulders above where we were.

EPILOGUE: Both my mother-in-law and father-in-law are now sick with what we had. I wish they weren’t, we tried hard to sequester our sick selves so they wouldn’t be infected. The Scientist’s father told her, “I’m so run down, all I want to do is stay in bed.”

To which I say, “Why don’t you get up, take a shower? That’ll make you feel better!”

###

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger MistressBioNerd said...

Where did you find that marble run toy? Oscar is all about the marbles lately and contraptions exactly like the one you pictured. Fortunately, he didn't mention it before Christmas because "Santa" was a bit financially strapped with the toys he did request, but it would be good to keep in mind for his birthday.

10:12 AM

 
Blogger craig said...

"Constructive Playthings" -- http://www.constplay.com. Search for "marble" and you'll find it (I can't link to it directly).

I can attest to its complete awesomeness. They also sell an expansion set, which I think I'll be buying.

12:09 PM

 
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Grrrr! I hate it when people do that whole hypocritical thing. At least you can say "So ha!" to yourself, and us.

12:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home