Skrip - tyur' - i - ent: adj. Possessing the violent desire to write.

2/25/2008

#239 In which our hero receives an unexpected letter regarding education and proposing a fun vacation destination.

We received a follow-up letter from the Christian school we toured a couple of weeks ago. We actually got it just two days later, meaning the principal must have written it that night or the next morning. Usually I’d assume it was boilerplate copy… but it’s clear that this letter was written specifically for us. It follows, with my commentary.
Thank you very much for coming last evening despite the bad weather. I admit your concerns abut creationism and evolution are the reverse of what we normally receive, but they are just as important as the others.
I’ll give this guy points for getting right to the matter at hand. I find it encouraging that our “concerns” about evolution (ie., your school teaches that it is a pack of lies) are the opposite of what people are usually worried about. Meaning that the typical parent is worried that evolution might be taught to their children. They actually fret that their children might be exposed to a well-established scientific theory. This just reinforces that fact that I don’t want my kids in this school. I mean, I don’t worry that my kids will be exposed to creationism or the verses in Genesis.

And does it strike you as a little passive-aggressive when he writes that our concerns are “just as important”? Like he’s saying, “Y’know, most people I told to understand the truth… but don’t worry, your misguided beliefs are just as valid. Sure they are.”
I agree that without God in the equation evolution is a viable answer.
I’m a little put off by this. We’re not atheists, and at no point did we express that God has no part to play in evolution. We weren’t advocating taking God out of the equation. And without flying into a rant, I have to comment that this is the kind of thing that annoys me most about fundamentalists: it’s all or nothing. You believe in God the way I believe in God or you are wrong.
Both creationists and evolutionists begin with same basic presuppositions that will support their case. Creationists begin with a literal belief of the Genesis account. Evolutionist begin without the supernatural being involved. While creationists differ on how God actually did the creating, especially how long ago and the time involved, they give him credit.

My problem with rejecting the Genesis account is how do we decide what part of the Bible we accept and what part we do not. Who decides what is symbolic and what is literal? There are accepted guidelines for these decisions in secular literature, and these rules of interpretation apply for Scripture also.
Oh boy.

He’s already made it clear that he believes the story of Genesis is to be taken literally--that is, the universe was created by God in six days. No more, no less. He knows this because it is written in the Bible. Then, in the paragraph above, he states that there are “accepted guidelines” for what passages in the Bible are to be taken literally (such as Genesis 2:2 “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.”) and what are NOT to be taken literally (such as, presumably, Leviticus 4:2-6 “2. … When anyone sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the Lord’s commands 3. … He must bring to the Lord a young bull without defect 4. … and slaughter it before the Lord. 5 Then the anointed priest shall take some of the bull's blood and carry it into the Tent of Meeting. 6. He is to dip his finger into the blood and sprinkle some of it seven times before the Lord, in front of the curtain of the sanctuary.”)
I want you to be comfortable with what we teach here. We do not require students or parents to believe as we do in many areas.
“Just the important ones.”
We serve over 40 different churches. We do stand on personal salvation through belief in Jesus’ death, burial and literal resurrection as payment for our sins. If you decide we are the best school for your family I would be glad to sit down with you and your husband to discuss this issue and others.
That would be an interesting meeting. We figure the best way to start it would be by explaining exactly what my wife does for a living. “As an embryologist, I help infertile couples have the baby of their dreams. Including lesbian couples.” I wonder if they’d still be so welcoming after that bombshell.
If you ever travel through Cincinnati I would recommend the Creation Museum. It is done by scientists, not just Christians. I have heard excellent reports on it.
Hol-lee crap. I realize that he’s making an attempt to use “science” to sway our decision, but man, he picked just about the most pathetic example he could. This “museum” has been thoroughly ridiculed by the scientific community as garbage. And it’s not hard to see why. A quick search about its contents revels that, among other things, it displays humans and dinosaurs living side-by-side, including displays which show: dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden; a Triceratops wearing a saddle; and a stegosaurus aboard Noah’s ark.

I would LOVE to go to see this train wreak in person, but certainly not for the reason that this guy thinks.
I realize your decision is a year away, but I want you to know I value your concerns.
I doubt that.

So, he’s done all due diligence in trying to secure two new fee-paying students and perhaps save the soul of their heathen parents. But, I’m afraid the search must continue.

###

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dressage Mom said...

I don't know about you, but I don't need saving. Like I told our pastor last Sunday - I'm good with God, and I know God's good with me. Regardless of what anybody says (or thinks).

12:52 PM

 
Blogger Ronald Hazen said...

"a Triceratops wearing a saddle"

Do you mean to say, sir, that Fred Flintstone was NOT an historical figure?

WILLLLLMAAAAAAA!

1:09 PM

 
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Wow. I'm impressed he even bothered to write you a letter. I would have thought he'd be happy to see you walk through the door and never come back, but I supposed the money is a bigger issue. Again, wow.

5:25 PM

 
Blogger Katee said...

I read your Dressagemom's blog and decided to pop over here to read what her husband had to say about the world.

This post was so great. I really liked that this guy took the time to write to you and make all of these funny statements. I guess it shows that he really does value his job and is trying to be good at it (yep, read the post about people not doing their jobs, too).

I pray to God that not attending this school is the greatest educational "loss" your children ever have to suffer. HA!

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home