Skrip - tyur' - i - ent: adj. Possessing the violent desire to write.

4/13/2005

#077 In which our hero loves his little girl.

I've done a little soul-searching recently regarding this Web site. I enjoy writing it, and it's good for me (in a polishing your skills and banishing your demons sort of way), but recently, I've been asking myself, in my best internal Dennis Hopper voice, what's it all about, man?

I read a fair amount of blogs, and most can be easily classified: mommy blog, daddy blog, relationship blog, etc., etc. And I know there are countless permutations out there (I love peanut butter blog, anyone?) which I don't read, and have no interest in. So, what's Scripturient.com about, anyway?

Well, I don't know. It's about me, and whatever drifts through my head. And, apparently, it' about my dog peeing on the floor. And, while I decided that I have no interest in defining this mess as being about something, I realized something else: I don't write about my baby nearly enough.

Simply put, my baby is awesome.

I mean, really awesome. If you have a baby of your own, I'm sorry, but he or she isn't jack compared to my daughter. Not only is my little swee'pea off the charts for height, weight and head circumference, she's smart as a whip, too.

Aside: why head circumference? I mean, sure, height and weight are pretty intuitive measures of a baby's development, but the size of their noggin? Is this such a wild card that you need to chart it? Why not ankle length or buttocks roundness... it seems to make just about as much sense to me. Anyway.

I'm constantly amazed at what my daughter understands. She's only a year and a half old, and doesn't really talk yet (but she says some words clearly, most notably "no!" and "mine!"), but I really think she understands nearly everything we tell her.

I'm sure there comes an age when your children are no longer a constant marvel, but I'm enjoying her so much right now. The Scientist asked me last night what I like most about our daughter, and I answered, "the same thing I like most about you. She makes me laugh."

And she does. She's so funny, and when she starts to giggle and laugh, it slays me. Especially when she laughs so hard that she snorts and gives herself the hiccups. Ha-larious! I've been sitting here trying to think of a particular incident that really sums up what I'm trying to express, something that would make you say, "ah, that's the most adorable thing I've ever read!" But I'm coming up blank. Not that she doesn't do exactly that on a daily basis, but not in ways that necessarily translate well into words.

Then again, I may just be a doting father, and you wouldn't be impressed by my little angel. Nah, that's crazy talk. All will fall under the spell of my offspring!

And, just so you know, if they measured buttocks roundness, she's be off the chart for that, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home